5 tips to be a Better Programmer
Here are five tips to be a better programmer.
- Coding is a craft; you learn it by doing it. That is why training courses have such a strong practical element. It is also a skill that is easy to forget, so use it or lose it.
- Even when familiar with the basic constructs, it is still worth fully understanding the detailed syntax of the language you are using. Languages contain many subtleties.
- Learn some theory and then do some practical. First gain a good understanding of the principles, purpose and limits of a new technology. Next, start to build an application using the technology.
- Many developers start to build something, and may even get it to work, without really knowing what exactly they are doing, or why. That is why having a good understanding is important. With software development, theory and practice go hand in hand.
- For the practical bit, it is fine to start by copying code or following step-by-step instructions. But then try, by yourself, building a program from scratch. That is when you really get a sense of achievement.